Dinner for dessert? I thought I would share this recipe that Jd and I made about two years ago as a fun Saturday project. We usually like to cook odd things when we get bored and this is what we came up with that day. We made hamburger cupcakes from scratch and served them with homemade sugar cookie 'french fries'! This is such a fun way to serve cupcakes at a birthday or any special occasion. They take a little longer to make, but it is definitely worth it and your guests will appreciate them!
Vanilla Hamburger Bun Cupcakes
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
3 medium eggs
1/3 cup sour cream
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups cake flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup milk
First let's make the hamburger buns. I chose to make my burger buns from scratch, but you can make them with a box of cake mix if you are in a time crunch, or if you really don't enjoy baking as much as I do. They will still turn out the same and you will cut your time in half.
Gather all of your ingredients, (see left side) if you chose to make the buns from scratch. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. and read below to get the ball rolling.
- In a large mixing bowl beat together the butter and sugar until thoroughly mixed and smooth.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each one.
- Next beat the sour cream, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract into the mixture.
- Gradually add the cake flour along with the baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Finally, stir in the milk until the batter is smooth
- Put the batter in a cupcake pan, DO NOT LINE PAN WITH CUPCAKE LINERS. I accidentally did and the ridges it makes on the cupcakes do not work out well when trying to make a smooth burger bun.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the tops are a golden brown color.
Now, let's make the burger! We will make chocolate cupcakes for the "burger" part of the hamburger. Once again I made mine from scratch, but you can buy a box of devil's food cake and it will be just fine.
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/4 cups water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup finely chopped semisweet chocolate chips
You can leave your oven at 350° F after you finish the vanilla cupcakes because you will keep it on that temperature to cook the chocolate cupcakes.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, and cocoa powder in a larger bowl.
- Add the salt, baking soda, and vanilla next mixing thoroughly.
- Next, mix in the vegetable oil.
- Add the water and stir until the mixture is smooth.
- Finally, add the finely chopped chocolate and fold it into the mixture.
Pour the batter into a cupcake pan and again DO NOT USE CUPCAKE LINERS. Bake for 35-40 minutes and let cool completely when done.
Finally, the last big element is making the sugar cookie 'french fries'. Follow below for the recipe.
Sugar Cookie Recipe
2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup butter , softened
2 tsp vanilla extract
- Lower your oven temperature to 500° F.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the sugars until thoroughly mixed.
- Add the softened butter until the mixture resembles a grainy looking paste.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract and beat into the mixture.
- FInally add the flour mixture and stir until mixed in, but do not overmix.
- Spread the batter flat onto a greased cookie sheet and bake for 18-20 minutes.
Okay, time for the fun part, making the condiments! I love this part because you get to play with food coloring and frosting!
For the LETTUCE you will need:
- green food coloring
- shredded coconut
Pour some of the shredded coconut into a bowl and add a few drops of the green food coloring. Mix this together, but be sure not to mix too much otherwise the coconut will clump together and form little balls which will NOT look anything like shredded lettuce.
For the KETCHUP and MUSTARD you will need:
- vanilla icing
- red food coloring
- yellow food coloring
Get two separate bowls, one for ketchup and one for mustard. In each bowl put some of the vanilla icing. In one bowl add red food coloring for the ketchup and in the other bowl add yellow food coloring for the mustard. Mix each bowl of icing until they resemble mustard and ketchup.
For the FRIES:
Once the cookie sheet has ALMOST completely cooled take a pizza cutter and slice the cookie into little pieces that resemble french fries.
Time to assemble your burgers! I lied, this part is actually the most fun!
The first step is to grab your vanilla buns and spread your ketchup all over the bottom half of the bun with a spoon.
Next, place your burger patty on top of the ketchup and cover the top with mustard.
On top of the mustard lightly sprinkle the lettuce and then gently place the top half of the bun on it.
To top it all off lightly dampen the tops of the burger buns with water and sprinkle sesame seeds on top
Grab a plate and serve your burger with a few sugar cookies french fries and voila! You have just completed a burger masterpiece that is ready to be devoured!
We hope you enjoyed making these tasty burgers! Let us know how we did in the comments below and don't forget to follow us on Bloglovin'!