We're officially obsessed with indoor gardening and plants in general. Jd decided that we needed plants in every single room and that he wanted to shower in a jungle, so we built our own 'raining' plant hanger. I was skeptical about how it would turn out, but I'm actually really in love with it. It took us less than an hour to build and was easy to hang from the ceiling. Make one for your shower using our guide below!
- (1) 1x1x8 board
- Chicken wire cut to 1'x2'
- (1) Roll fiberglass screen
- Staple gun and staples
- Wire cutters
- Needle nose plyers
- Wood Screws
- Small gauge chains
- Metal hooks
- Go to your local hardware store (we went to Lowes) and pick up your supplies. If you don't have a saw, ask the wood department to cut your board into 2 pieces: (2) 2' sections and (2) 1' sections
- Layout your boards in the shape of a rectangle and pre-drill the holes so you wood won't split when you screw them together. Screw all 4 boards together.
- Cut your chicken wire with the wire cutters to fit the rectangle and then staple around the edges so it's tightly secured. Cut off the excess chicken wire around the edges.
- Fold over your fiber glass mesh 4x so it's thick. This will keep your soil from falling out. Staple it around the edges, right over top of the chicken wire layer, so it's tightly secured.
- Add your hooks to the corners of your planter. Our hooks had clamps, which made it easier to hang. Then screw your 4 regular ceiling hooks into the ceiling, after you have measured the right distance.
- Take your plants and separate them by gently breaking apart the soil and diving them by the root.
- Measure out where you want each plant to go on the black mesh (this is where you will make holes for the plants). We made holes 2 inches apart using a ruler. You can use a knife to make each hole.
- Gently feed the roots through each hole and add a layer a soil that completely covers them.
- Moisten the soil so you can see the roots and layer with more soil. You can continue to add more soil wherever needed.
- Hang your planter above the shower and get ready to enjoy!